Tuesday, August 19, 2014

VELKOMMEN

Okay, so a lot of people have been asking when I was going to post on my blog. Well here it is! It is going to be short and sweet and to the point (maybe...)! I did have a lot of rough drafts of my first blog post but too much has happened that I can’t keep up! Plus I have everyone telling me that I should write on my blog!


Anyways ... Norway is great! It is absolutely beautiful ! My host family is great! I have three host sisters, Anniken (12), Marte (15), and Eline (17)! But Eline already left for her own exchange to Eagan, Minnesota! My host parents Marit and Stig are also very helpful and have been very welcoming! Thank you by the way!


Okay so on the plane ride went well too, the only problem was that I was in the middle seat and I had a lot of water before hand and the person next to me fell asleep (who, by the way is the Rotary president in Fargo).  Right before my bladder was about to burst I got up stretched myself across her slumbering body, people were very impressed that I could do it without disturbing her. It was just kind of uncomfortable having to straddle her when I really had to pee (don’t worry I didn’t pee on her).


Also I didn’t fall asleep so I had to stay up all day. It was great. In Amsterdam I had a six hour layover and everyone is allowed one hour of internet. After using up my hour of internet I started to run around the airport pretending that I had to catch a flight, that was fun until I was dripping in sweat. Then I sat around for awhile and waited for my flight.


Then when I got on the plane to Bergen it really hit me that I was doing this, I was going to be living in another country for a year. It hit me so hard that knocked me out and I didn’t wake up until we were about to land in Bergen. I was so excited to see my host sisters and host mom! My host dad was off on the east side of Norway (close to Oslo) golfing and visiting his parents. I met him the next day though! We went home had some fruit and some coffee then I tried to stay awake as long as possible which was until 8 pm!


This last week went by really fast but I had dinner with some Rotary people, went into the city center, went to the police station to get my residents permit papers figured out, went to my host cousins apartment (she is really cool and I really like her!) then hung out with my host sister Marte in the city center for a while. I helped set up for Eline’s going away party and I met her friends, they were really nice!  I went to my first Rotary meeting, I was late…. I estimated my time wrong and I got lost and I had to jump a fence. Also, did I mention it was raining (like always)? I missed the train so I had to wait an extra 10 min once I got to my stop (which is the last one). I ran out of the train and after running awhile I noticed that I had no idea where I was going… my counselor had to come find me, but all the Rotarians were really nice and very welcoming and I just can’t wait for the next meeting!


Then the next day we left Eline at the airport, it just reminded me of when I had to say bye to everyone so it was hard to watch. A few hours later Marte had to get on the plane to Oslo and be there for a few days to get her bunad fitted  for her confirmation which is in two weeks ! (A bunad is a traditional dress that is often hand made and is different depending on what part of Norway you are in.) The rest of us went to the cabin from Friday to Saturday! It was a lot of fun! We jumped on the trampoline, made some waffles, went kayaking, saw a some jellyfish, we had a good time! Then we went on a small two hour hike! It was really nice but I fell a lot… I was covered with mud by the end!


Yesterday, I went to my first day of school!... kind of? You see, a lot of the teachers here are on strike for higher pay, so I went for about two hours for my name to be called and got some things figured out. Today I didn’t really do anything. I went to go watch a movie with my host sister Marte and the we went to the library to get a kids book in Norwegian. Then I found out that I would be able to be in this orchestra close by me! The only problem is that it is during the Rotary meeting so we will have to see about that.  I just wanted to give you guys a little update so you would get off my tail about not posting anything yet !  More blog post soon to come, just be patient !



Me leaving and plane food pic....
First look at Norway!
The day I came to Norway!
 The view at the cabin
 More of the cabin


 Extra rooms
Roxy !

 Morning breakfast at the cabin (Anniken)

 HIKING








HA DET!
R. Gail Bartolo

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna miss your hugs and hi's in the hallways this year! Don't let the year pass too fast :)

    ReplyDelete